Apple Cinnamon Oat Cake with Coconut Frosting (gf)
I love this cake. I really really do. It has become my go to for entertaining because it just has this lovely, unique quality that is just perfect for finishing off a warm meal. When I hosted my girlfriends for a holiday party recently this was easily the star of the show. It pairs nicely with champagne for a celebrations. This Year we are hosting a Christmas Eve brunch with a small group of family members and I plan to have this on the table, simply for its festive beauty. Well, that and because I like to find excuses to have cake for breakfast!
|All Images Ⓒ 2020 DMG Photo|
Okay, so this really is not the healthiest recipe on my website. BUT it does have some great quality ingredients to make you feel good about eating this cake over another one. Oats being the main ingredient makes this cake a little healthier because they are incredibly nutritious, filling (so you are less likely to go back for a second piece), they help to lower cholesterol, contain soluble fiber and are rich in antioxidants! I have also used coconut oil in this recipe in place of butter or other oils for it's unique health benefits, and apples for theirs as well. So yeah, there is sugar, icing sugar, and cream cheese in there, but let us be honest, we were going to eat a piece of cake, or two, or three, over the holidays, so in that context, it really is a win!
This cake has a unique to itself texture, more dense that a typical fluffy white cake, but in the best way possible. It is rich, sweet and indulgent, and the hint of cinnamon is so euphoric for me. It is so moist and you can really sense the oats in each bite. This cake is so special your guests will certainly find it memorable. There is rarely a slice left after a family get together or holiday party, so get your piece quick! And be sure to send them to my website to have a look when they ask you for the recipe :)
Sweet Cinnamon Oat Cake
- 1 cup oat flour (or finely ground oats)
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup boiling hot water
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Oven to 350F and grease two 9" cake pans with coconut oil.
- Combine wet ingredients, omitting coconut oil and hot water, add to dry ingredients and whisk thoroughly.
- In a small bowl whisk together hot water and coconut oil, add to cake batter and continue to whisk until all ingredients are incorporated well.
- Split batter between two pans and bake in oven for 30-40 minutes.
- While cake cools on a cooling rack, use an electric mixer to beat together the butter and cream cheese. Once combined, slowly blend in the icing sugar then cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the coconut.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, ice the middle and top of the cake leaving the sides so the cake shows through. Sprinkle the top with the remainder of the coconut and serve!
If you would like to follow my holiday series be sure to check out my Instagram page grace.and.jack !