Roasted Beet Sandwich w/ Sweet Potato Fries
|all images Ⓒ DMG Photo
Let's talk about beets and love, and love and beets! Such a beautiful little super food, packed with iron, fibre, vitamin C and so many more beneficial nutrients, it needs to be a regular on the menu in your home. I'm here to share with you one of my favorite recipes using beet; the roasted veggie sandwich. If you are like me, a typical sandwich is always loaded up with vegetables like lettuce, tomato, cucumber, etc. But in the winter months I find myself craving warmth from my food, so I thought we could roast some root veggies and broil some cheese over the top to make something extra special for the cold dreary month of February.
- 1 red beet
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 2 tbsp basil pesto
- sliced old cheddar or mozzarella, I have tried both and they work well
- balsamic reduction, or honey
- 4 slices multigrain bread
- Preheat oven to 425F, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel and slice beet into half inch rounds. You can use a heart shaped cookie cutter if you wish to have the same shape as photos above. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place on baking sheet.
- Peel and slice sweet potatoes, cutting into fries. Toss with remaining olive oil, sea salt and garlic powder. Lay on baking sheet with prepared beets, place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until cooked through and sweet potatoes are looking golden and slightly crispy.
- Put slices of multigrain bread in the toaster and switch oven from bake to broil setting.
- Place cheese on two slices of bread and drizzle with balsamic reduction, broil in the oven until the cheese is melted and slightly golden, remove from oven and prepare sandwiches.
- On the two remaining slices of bread spread a thin layer of pesto then top with beets and close the sandwich with the slice of bread with the melted cheese. Serve alongside sweet potato fries and a salad.