Gluten Free Pancakes
Nearly every morning my toddlers ask for pancakes. I'm sure I can't be the only mom with this request. Often times I would say no because I wanted a healthier option for them to start their day, and the gluten free pancake mix I was buying in the store was so full of sugar and low in nutrition. So, I took some time and tried many different ways to come up with a pancake recipe that pleased them and still had enough nutrition to make me feel okay about serving pancakes most days of the week.
Although my children aren't gluten free, I am, and we eat all meals together. I don't bake or cook with regular flours to ensure I don't cross contaminate, but my kids and my husband do eat regular bread, crackers, etc. We had to try to find a balance, and for us that means anything I make is gluten free, and if they want gluten filled snacks they come from the store. It isn't a perfect system but we are doing our best. I am interested to hear how others do this with a gluten free family member, so please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of the post, I would love to hear from you!
Okay, since mornings are so busy I will keep this one short and let you get to making those yummy pancakes!
Gluten Free Pancakes
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp oil, extra for frying
- Combine dry ingredients together in a medium size bowl.
- Whisk together wet ingredients thoroughly, then add to dry mixture.
- Whisk the batter well, then let sit for 2 minutes or so. Heat up pan and add oil.
- I use a 1/4 cup measurement to keep the pancakes all the same size, but you can use a tablespoon instead to spoon the mixture into the pan, about 2-3 tablespoons per pancake.
- Cook until you begin to see bubbles rising to the surface, then flip. Cook until brown on the underside, about 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with fruit, pure maple syrup or chocolate chips and enjoy!
For more inspiration be sure to check out my Instagram page grace.and.jack !
Post a Comment